Audio products including headphones, earphones, in-ear monitors, speakers, soundbars, and generally anything else that transmits sound has to be reviewed based on a combination of technical description and subjective listening.
Reviewing always has the downside of it being totally subjective, though Pickr’s reviewer likes to think the program he set up at his former workplace of GadgetGuy allows the process to be a little more transparent thanks to its consistency.
As such, Pickr’s audio reviews are handled by a sound test that you can listen to yourself using either Apple Music, Google Play Music, or Spotify.
The playlist we use is one stored in lossless audio, much of which is 24-bit, allowing the reviewer to hear the best source of sound that is possible, whether or not you agree with the virtues of 24-bit high-resolution audio.
For the 2016 to 2017 period, Pickr’s sound test can be heard using the following playlist.
High resolution audio files for the Pickr/Listnr playlist appear as follows:
- Balmorhea – Candor (Botany Remix) (16-bit, 44kHz)
- Pentatonix – Lean On (24-bit, 44kHz)
- Ellie Goulding – Army (24-bit, 44kHz)
- Propellerheaders – History Repeating (16-bit, 44kHz)
- Mark Ronson – Uptown Funk (24-bit, 88kHz)
- Michael Jackson – Billie Jean (24-bit, 176kHz)
- Marvin Gaye – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (24-bit, 96kHz)
- Maroon 5 – Sugar (24-bit, 96kHz)
- Sia – Elastic Heart (24-bit, 44kHz)
- Beck – Dreams (24-bit, 96kHz)
- Phil Collins – In The Air Tonight (24-bit, 192kHz)
- Muse – Madness (24-bit, 96kHz)
- Deftones – Change (In the House of Flies) (24-bit, 96kHz)
- Nirvana – Come As You Are (24-bit, 96kHz)
- The Who – Baba O’Riley (24-bit, 96kHz)
- Beach Boys – God Only Knows (24-bit, 192kHz)
- Ben Folds – Yes Man (24-bit, 96kHz)
- Nigel Kennedy – Walk on the Ice (16-bit, 44kHz)
- Christian McBride – Fat Bach and Greens (24-bit, 96kHz)
- Etta James – At Last (24-bit, 192kHz)
- Dave Brubeck – Take Five (24-bit, 176kHz)
- Miles Davis – Flamenco Sketches (24-bit, 192kHz)
- Kurt Elling – Bonita Cuba (24-bit, 96kHz)
- Norah Jones – Come Away With Me (24-bit, 192kHz)
- Radiohead – Daydreaming (24-bit, 48kHz)