Audio (headphones, speakers)
Audio products such as headphones, earphones, in-ear monitors, speakers, soundbars, and generally anything else that transmits sound has to be reviewed based on a combination of technical description and subjective listening.
Reviewing always has the downside of being totally subjective, though Pickr’s reviewer likes to think an open program of audio helps to make the process a little more transparent.
As such, Pickr’s audio reviews are handled by a sound test that you can listen to yourself using either Apple Music, Google Play Music, or Spotify.
The playlist we use is one stored in lossless audio, much of which is 24-bit, allowing the reviewer to hear the best source of sound that is possible, whether or not you agree with the virtues of 24-bit high-resolution audio.
From 2019 onwards, Pickr’s sound test can be heard using the following playlist.
High resolution audio files for the Pickr/Listnr playlist appear as follows:
- Tycho – Glider (24-bit, 96kHz)
- Daft Punk – Contact (24-bit, 88.2kHz)
- Carly Rae Jepsen – Cut To The Feeling (16-bit, 44.1kHz)
- Ariana Grande – Into You (24-bit, 44.1kHz)
- Mark Ronson – Uptown Funk (24-bit, 88.2kHz)
- Marvin Gaye – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (24-bit, 96kHz)
- Charlie Puth – Done For Me (24-bit, 44.1kHz)
- Maroon 5 – Animals (24-bit, 96kHz)
- FKA Twigs – Two Weeks (24-bit, 44.1kHz)
- Muse – Madness (24-bit, 44.1kHz)
- Rage Against The Machine – Take The Power Back (24-bit, 44.1kHz)
- Deftones – Digital Bath (24-bit, 96kHz)
- David Bowie – Starman (24-bit, 96kHz)
- Paul Simon – You Can Call Me Al (24-bit, 96kHz)
- The Who – Baba O’Riley (24-bit, 96kHz)
- The Beatles – While My Guitar Gently Weeps (24-bit, 96kHz)
- Tatiana Samouil, David Lively – Clair de Lune (24-bit, 88.2kHz)
- Nigel Kennedy – Spring 5: Nymphs And Shepherds Dance (16-bit, 44.1kHz)
- Christian McBride – Fat Bach and Greens (24-bit, 96kHz)
- Ray Brown Trio – The Real Blues (24-bit, 88.2kHz)
- Dave Brubeck Quartet – Take Five (24-bit, 176.4kHz)
- Miles Davis – Flamenco Sketches (24-bit, 192kHz)
- Etta James – At Last (24-bit, 192kHz)
- Norah Jones – Come Away With Me (24-bit, 192kHz)
- Radiohead – Daydreaming (24-bit, 48kHz)